Sunday 29 December 2013

Missing Boy

Update: Heartbreakingly Adam was found passed away on Monday.  No foul play is suspected.  My deepest sympathies go to the family and thank you to anyone who read this and had a look at the Facebook page.

I haven’t written anything for awhile, I have been on Christmas holidays and so ironically ended it up with no time.  I’ve already sorted out my first post of the Bloggers 2014 Challenge but that’s up on a certain date so I’ve had to reframe from putting it up early.

I’m not going to be writing in the silly style I normally do to getting down my thoughts with.  I really want to be serious as I’m writing today.  I really don’t know how I’m feeling right now.  A boy I knew when I was little, and who was very good friends with my brother in primary school has gone missing.  He’s been missing now for nearly 48 hours.  The police are very worried.  His parents are quoted as being ‘distraught’.  When I was about 7, on my birthday, my brother was allowed to bring one person to the party and he chose Adam.  The boy who has gone missing.

I guess it hits close to home that it was a person I had once known (though very long ago) and he went missing in an area that I live.  Just the thought of his parents not knowing where he is, makes it completely awful.  They are currently, right this second out searching for him.  Scouring the streets for their missing son.  What is making me feel so torn at the moment is that, even though it is so early in the search, is how I’m already comparing it to all the other people who have never been found.  And the nagging question at the back of my mind is this.  When do they go home?  When do his parent leave the search and return to their house to sleep, eat, rest?  How could they ever get to sleep knowing that worst case scenario they might never see their son again.  How many days do they spend waiting and wondering if they’ll hear any news?

If he isn’t found, and I’m hoping to God that he’s found safe as soon as possible, and the case is put on the back burner for the police, when do his parents stop thinking about it?  I guess the obvious and most simple answer is that they don’t.  And that must be the case with so many parents of missing children.  Madeline Mcann is the example which will always spring to mind whenever a missing person is brought up.  Six years and it has never ended for them.  Looking at the news even now they are still trying to find that missing little girl.  If they had found her dead, it would have given the parents closure.  It would have been beyond the worst thing that could have happened to them at the time but they wouldn’t have spent the next six years searching.  Looking into every face, the police reconstructing and reconstructing evidence that has not changed since they first examined that hotel room.  It’s heartbreaking.  If Madeline is dead, then it’s tragic but she is gone, she doesn’t feel anymore.   Her parents do though.  I wonder if they still hope for her safe return?  If they still believe that she will return.  Miracles do happen I guess.  No one deserves to go through that though, the constant hope for a miracle.

And what about Adam, the 17 year old boy who went missing?  The response all over my Facebook is overwhelming, people sharing the news articles and giving updates, a Facebook page has been made.  In the first 3 hours it got over 2,000 likes.  Right now it has nearly 6,000, by the time this goes up on my blog it will have even more.  People who have never even met him are commenting and wishing his safe return.  Every share and like is a chance that it might expose the situation to someone who knows something.  The news said the last people to see him was a couple at 3.20am on Oxford Street after a night out in Manchester.  If those people could just see it and remember anything it could help.

I’m asking anyone who sees this to check out the page, even just looking at it could help.  Any information could lead to him being found and stop so much pain for the family.

I hope so much that he just ended up somewhere ridiculous since he’d have likely had a lot of alcohol, and is now just unable to get home. It could be nothing or it could be something awful has happened to him but either way I hope for good news for the sake of the family and friends.  I hope they don’t have to search and worry too long and that he returns to them safe and sound.  The thought of the distress his family must be going through is unbearable.

Please have a look at the Facebook page and share it if you can.  Adam can’t just be forgotten as one more missing boy the police couldn’t find, no family should lose their children.


The Facebook page:

No comments:

Post a Comment